What is Hypnobirthing? Why Hypnobirth?
Hypnobirthing might sound a bit whacky, but it’s actually just a way of reprogramming your brain to think more positively about pregnancy and childbirth.
It’s practical and simple! Hypnobirthing equips you with a set of relaxation exercises that you can practise in your own time, whenever you want to.
We encourage fathers/partners to be involved too so it enhances and empowers the experience of pregnancy and birth for both of you. Practising together can also be a special, bonding time for couples.
Principles of hypnobirthing (this is not an exclusive list!)
1. Hynobirthing is for EVERYONE!
· Whether you are planning a homebirth or an elective caesarean birth hypnobirthing techniques can help you to feel more relaxed and positive about your pregnancy and parenthood.
2. Relaxation makes your birth more efficient, gentle and pleasant:
· Your uterus is made of muscle, so when you relax you allow the muscles to work freely and your contractions are more effective.
· OXYTOCIN is GOD!!! When you are relaxed your body produces more oxytocin (the ‘love hormone’ which allows your body to labour effectively) and less adrenaline (which inhibits oxytocin and the birth process)
· To learn more about this read anything by Michel Odent
3. The mind affects the body so:
· Positive thinking about birth Only! (Or as much as possible!)
· Fill your life and environment with positive thoughts during pregnancy and beyond.
4. The 4 C’s of Hypnobirthing:
Having a practical set of techniques that keep you relaxed and positive empowers you and your partner to have greater control over your pregnancy and birth experience.
Women who hypnobirth also report more calm, gentle births and feeling greater comfort with the powerful sensations (don’t say the P word!) of childbirth which many couples prefer to refer to as ‘surges’ (rather than contractions).
What do you ACTUALLY DO?
The Hypnobirthing course is separated into 2 main sections.
Part i) in the run-up to birth
Part ii) during the birth.
These both consist of:
1) A series of visualisations/relaxation exercises that you can:
a) read to yourself b) you and your partner can read to each other or c) listen to on a cd/mp3.
2) Breathing techniques – these help you stay as relaxed as possible before, during and after the birth. Being calm and relaxed facilitates oxytocin production (see above)
3) The Hypnobirthing course also informs you about other aspects of your birth such as: writing birth plans, what to pack for hospital, tips for early labour, perineal tears and perineal massage (optional!),
Seeing Is believing
If you are hoping for a normal birth it's great to start feeding your eyes with images of positive normal births
You can watch some hypnobirths for yourself here:
Birth of Sloane
Birth of Daisy
Birth of Joshua
Birth of Norah
Find out more
I did my Hypnobirthing teacher training with Katharine Graves.
You can find out more about her method on her website here.
I want to do it!
Great! I offer one to one Hypnobirthing classes in Paris, in a place and time that suits you.
You can do the classes on your own but it’s better if you can bring your birth partner along with you.
I also occasionally offer Hynobirthing classes in London, and if I can’t I can direct you to a lovely friend of mine who does.
Click here to read more about my Hypnobirthing services